Sunday, June 11, 2006

What a great weekend should look like...

I had a great weekend. I didn't do anything extraordinary, but at no point was I disappointed or bored. It was pleasant, I was truly contented.

On Saturday a former co-worker of mine, Erin, was due to leave Korea for a few months. She stopped working the previous week and had just returned to Seoul from a short jaunt to Hong Kong. She was staying in Seoul so after work a few of us cabbed it up and met her at a Jazz Club for some chatting and drinks. It was a pretty cool place. The jazz and atmosphere were relaxing. I got home around 2, early by Korean standards. It was good to see Erin before she left.

On Saturday I lazed around. I had big plans of going shopping, getting some pictures enlarged and printed so I could decorate my place a bit more and completing a few more general errands. Monsoon season, it seems, decided to begin on Saturday though, changing my plans. I instead stayed inside listening to the pounding rain and watching the entire sky illuminate every so often. I love storms. Being curled up in a cozy room where you're safe, have good company and are most certainly dry make it all the better.

My friend Katie, whom I know from back home, was having a bbq with some of her friends about an hour away from where I live. The bbq was cancelled due to rain, but a gathering was still occurring. I headed out around 8. Thankfully the rain had subsided. It took a little over an hour to reach Katie's city of Yongin. It's one subway and a bus, it's really easy and I'll be visiting her a lot more and her I. Got there, met her friends at a pub and proceeded to drink beer and watch the England / Paraguay World Cup match. After the game finished we switched to a different pub that had the tallest beer mugs ever with fun freezing holes in the table in which to put them. This kept your beer cold. Ingenious really.

We drank more. The sun started to come up.

We went out for galbi.

We went to sleep...I think it was around 7.

Katie and I woke up around 12 and got ready. There's a pub in Itaewan (the foreigners district of Seoul) called th Rocky Mountain Tavern. It's Canadian. It's fun. Today it was playing (not live) game 3 of the Stanley Cup. The Stanley Cup is FAR more important than the World Cup in my opinion. There are plenty others who would argue otherwise. I don't care. I'm Canadian. Like we care about soccer. Seriously.

Anyways, those who are reading this have probably also seen the game. I will say one thing. I'm no hockey connoisseur. I've never claimed to be. I did, however, notice that Edmonton needs to get off it's ass and DO SOMETHING during their power plays. They had SIX power plays, one of which was a 2-man advantage and they did diddily f-in squat with them. That said, great game. The Tavern was packed full. Mostly Canadians, everyone intently watching. It's impossibly not to get caught up in it. Games 4 and 5 are during the week so there's no way I can get out there in time to watch them. The final game, however, is on a weekend. I'll be there, bells jingling.

So, we went to the tavern, watched hockey. It had been downloaded from a BC station. The commercials were Canadian (BC even - yay for Kokanee commercials). Also: Dad - there's a NEW zamboni commercial!!! I'm sure you've seen it, but this was my first time. I'm sure it's possibly to download them all. I'm going to have to, I've missed a chunk of 'em. We watched Coach's Corner. Don Cherry's coat was ugly even for him. I ate a kickass breakfast....mmm bacon. and we played Trivial Pursuit - Canadian Edition.

Around 7 I started to get pretty sleepy. So I got on the subway and was home by 8. I'm now going to finish my book and go to bed early. Aww, who am I kidding. bed early here means 2am...

k, recap of what a great weekend should look like...

1. relaxing friday evening with friends, possibly calming jazz playing in the background
2. lazy Saturday morning justified due to monsoon storm
3. Saturday evening spent socializing with friends/new friends till wee hours
4. Sunday morning/afternoon waking up happy (and surprisingly not overly hungover), crossing the street to get Dunkin' Donuts, eating a bagel and coffee, and meeting previous nights peoples for an outing
5. watching hockey in the presence of many canadians (only a canadian would understand the importance of this)
6. playing canadian edition trivial pursuit and actually knowing the answers
7. going home with enough time to chill, clean up the place a bit, and see some friends from your own city before going to bed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home