Tuesday, May 23, 2006

poems by kids

yes, I have to teach poetry (amongst other things). Remember when you did poetry in school?? remember how much that sucked?? Right. Now try learning poetry when you're ESL and still saying things like:
student "teacher, me homework no..."
Teacher (me): "Why?"
student "uhhh...umm....because...ummm....teacher....me...yesterday...grandmother house..umm..go...and study time is....umm...small"

right.

ok, so try teaching poetry when you're students say things like that. When it comes to school I now have the patience of Job.

THEN there are the kids who randomly pull stuff outta thier ass and surprise/please you beyond words. Following are two poems written by two middle school BOYS in the 20 minutes I gave them to free write.

*there are supposed to be indentations and stuff too, but this blogsite's being retarded. "Drop of Tear" is all staggared for more impact. These kids STAGGAR for IMPACT!!

Drop of Tear

Drop of tear
my tear
fell to the floor
I hear
"Good-bye"
to my ear
I am here
but,
You are there
Just close my eyes

Rain

In a lonely house
I'm looking outside
Rain is coming.
Come in, come in, come in
Come into my house
Please come in
and play with me.
Come in, come in
In my lonely house
In my lonely mind
It is raining.

Ya, I know what you're thinking...."Krista, you're just the best teacher EVER" but really, I have no idea where this came from. My job is constantly surprising me. That is why I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home