Wednesday, June 14, 2006

an interesting revelation

you know how you don't really know your own opinion on things sometimes until you're forced to express them? I wasn't fully aware of how much Korea bugs me sometimes until I would have given ANYTHING to see Togo CRUSH Korea in their World Cup match. The only reason I'd want Togo (where is that country again?) to win is so that I could go to class tomorrow and look at all the disappointed faces.

mean, sick and twisted am I?

not really, based on the fact that I am not alone in my opinion on this matter...other teachers will agree

It's not that I hate Korea. It's definitely not that I hate my kids. It's just that sometimes Korea is SO unrealistic when it comes to where they stand as a World power. Or even a World player for that matter. Korea suffers from classic "little man syndrome." They've been stepped on innumerable times, ground into the dirt even, and have managed to survive. I'll give 'em that. Go Korea...you can get your ass kicked and still keep fighting. However, do not translate "surviving," into "we kick ass." They aren't the same.

I WILL give it to Korea that they are progressing very well from an economical sense. Now, let's focus on our society shall we? How about bringing it up to speed about 50 years. I don't know much about politics, I've never claimed to either (I took 3 cracks at Poli Sci 101 before bringing home a C). I will however state this: In my opinion, humble as it is, for a country to be respected world-wide it would have to succeed economically and culturally. A lot of people could give a f. if Sudan all of a sudden tried to become an economic power. Great. You did it. You still treat your people like crap and we don't want to work with you.

(and YES I am aware that at no point currently has Sudan tried to, or will it be anytime soon, be an economic power - it was just an example)

Anyways. Korea has a long way to go. Good country. Love living here. Just pisses me off how they (and I mean from grandparents down to their brainwashed offspring) seem to think they are already there somehow.

Togo winning would have served very well in bringing them down a notch or two. Next game will have to suffice I guess. Word on the street is there's no way Korea will survive against the Swiss or the French. One of whom they will have to play next.

In general though it's nothing huge, just little things that bug me. Nothing to send me packing, nothing even to get me overly riled about. However, I did find it interesting how strongly I reacted when Korea beat Togo. Can dislike really be that underlying?

Something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home