Thursday, August 23, 2007

kathmandu in a different light

I am currently in one of the most interesting places I have ever been in my life. The sights, smells and sounds of Kathmandu intermingle to form this incredible sensory overload at every moment. There are cows, bikes, people, motos, everything, wandering in every direction. The streets are sometimes paved, usually not. I've seen temples, both Buddist and Hindu. Sari'd women are everywhere. I had no idea. I'm in shock. This is amazing.

AND I went shopping for trekking stuff. I spent a whopping $65 US dollars and got...

1 -10C sleeping bag (North Face)
4 pairs of thick hiking socks
1 north face fleece jacket
1 pair of long underwear
1 fleece headband
1 light weight gloves
1 Nalgene water bottle

oh. my. god.

I will probably buy a new winter jacket as well. I've had mine since grade 11...there's nothing wrong with it, but come ON!!! I can get a North Face lined winter jacket for like $50...if that. I'll probably also buy another smaller backpack that'll act as my carry-on from now on.

I'm moving back to Canada and ski mountains...and now it's all justified ;)

darker side...I also bought a Nepal Lonely Planet so I could understand it all a bit better. Under dangers and annoyances:

- Keep an eye on the local press to find out about impending strikes, demonstrations and
curfews
- don't ever break curfew - instructions have been given to shoot those who are found breaking
curfew
- don't travel during Bandhs (strikes) or blockades. Get very nervous if you notice that you are
the only car on the streets of Kathmandu!

I am VERY glad that I did not read that prior to last night. I've asked a few people...and yesterday was a Bandh.

There are three different kinds of strikes in Nepal:

"A normal procession or demonstration is a julus. If things escalate there may be a chakka jam (jam of wheels), when all vehicles stay off the street, or a bandh, when all shops, schools, and offices are closed as well."

p.s. my taxi was the only car i saw last night, except for the police road blocks...and a cow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home