Saturday, August 11, 2007

the differences between travel alone and...not alone

i've realized for some time now that i haven't been keeping up with this blog nearly as much as I was the last time I did this trip. I wasn't quite sure as to why, but figured it had something to do with less things to write about. Since I'd already done most of the things before, maybe I wasn't as excited about them and therefore didn't see the need to blog about them.

I'd figured wrong.

Everything I've done this year as been just as great as last year. Yes, I've done some things that I've already done before, but a lot of things I haven't. I've realized that the lack of my blogging has to do with the fact that I'm not alone in my travels.

Last year I did this trip alone, however, I was rarely alone. I met up with many different people along the way, shared hotel rooms, day-trips and memories. The main difference between that trip and the trip I am currently on is that last year, although I was only alone when I made a conscious effort to be so, at least every few days I was on my own. This trip is now 2 weeks in, and today is the first day that I've had completely to myself (until 6pm that is).

Now, which way do I prefer? That is an almost impossible question to answer. Both ways are fantastic. Both ways are almost the same as well. The only difference is that during all of the things I'm doing there is a constant person, one who never changes, and that is Danielle. Last year was a lot more work. Meeting new people, earning trust, and finding out about personalities takes effort. Yes, it's awesome and meeting new people is great, but it takes work. What I've done in the different countries hasn't changed a great deal, but the social effort has.

Now, what does this have to do with my blog entries? Well, Danielle is a constant. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Today, as I was alone for the first time wandering around the Old Quarter in Hanoi I realized that I was bored. I then thought back to last year, trying to recall if I was bored then too. I remembered that on some days, I was. However most days I occupied my time. I got a lot more massages, I shopped a lot more, I sat in a lot more cafes reading. I also spent a lot more time on the internet. Therein lies the answer. This year there's a constant person to talk to, to wander with. There's no effort involved, we've known eachother for a year. Therefore we spend a lot less time on the internet. Is this an excuse? I don't think so. It's just a reality. Another reality is that last year I spent a lot more money doing all of those things. This years a lot cheaper...woohoo!

That all said, I've enjoyed today. Those who know me know that "Krista Time" is an essential. Today has been relaxing. I've gotten a 1 hour massage, eaten a wonderful meal, eaten icecream at a cafe overlooking Hanoi, done a bit of shopping, and am now doing this. All before 3pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home