Saturday, July 07, 2007

Last weekend in Anyang

We had to work today (Saturday), because we're getting next Monday off making it a 4-day weekend. After work I walked my way over to E-Mart (similar to Wal-Mart) to pick up some things for my travels...as I walked I noted/realized some things.

1. this was my last saturday i'd be spending in Anyang

2. in canada i'd be driving

3. driving would have been a waste of gas, why would i drive? it's a beautiful night!!

4. koreans have MUCH better public parks, with fountains for kids to play in everywhere, and FUN lights to make the water different colours

5. kids in korea, however much more they have to study and how much more pressure is put on them, have a lot more freedom during their free time. kids were running amok in the park, playing games together, kicking balls. Literally hundreds of people running around in the dusk. no one looked worried, no parents were telling kids to be careful. they were kids.

6. i want my kids to run and jump and play and get hurt, and get up and run and jump and play some more. that way you learn that that wasn't a smart idea!

7. i'm going to miss the ease with which my life flows here. i walk places, i take my time, i stop, sit and stare. my iPod is my lifeline and i choose the music to go with my mood and the scenery. I'm going to miss the walking.

8. I'm going to miss the random food. I love having everything at my finger tips. Walking through the park, hey, i'm hungry. walk 5 minutes in any direction and hit any number of restaurants and/or street vendors.

9. I'm going to miss the festival atmosphere that accompanies every weekend day/night during a Korean summer. There are so many people here that any main road or major public gathering place is transformed.

10. I'm going to get out more when i'm home.

11. I'm going to miss being so active with my friends. "Hey, want to go bungee jumping tomorrow?" "ummm, ya, sure" there's no major schedule conflicts or other things that "have" to be done. just...sweet, that sounds like fun....sure.

12. I'll think WAY less about doing things that sound remotely fun when i'm home. everything in life doesn't need planning.

13. I'll miss the accessibility of everything. one of the main reasons we're all so active and do so many things is everything is so compact. This entire year I haven't left an area bigger than the GVRD for the vast majority. There's been no need. Everything is here, from parasailing to ice fishing to Everland (Korea's Disneyland).

14. basically....i'm going to miss korea. I'll miss it for it's awesome lifestyle. I'll miss it for the things that it gives me, and the things it's taken from me. I'll even miss the things that have pissed me off so much I want to scream at the world for it is those things that have probably taught me the most about myself.

15. I'll miss the kids. I'll miss their innocent questions and their crazy dances. (personal favorite of late has to be my little Jason stating..."teacher, you have many periods!!" - he was pointing to the moles on my arms!!)

16. I need to find a box with air holes big enough to put Jason in it...hope his parents won't mind.

17. I'll miss my friends.

Next weekend is China for 4 days. 20 of us have our own tour group. The weekend after is Mud Festival (3rd time's a charm) with ohhhh upwards of 50 people I know. If that's not a send-off then I don't know what is!!

I'm sad, i'm nostalgic, but i'm ready to go. It hurts my heart to think that I'll probably never be back in Korea again. However...who knows ;)

2 Comments:

At 3:53 p.m., Blogger traci said...

what's grvd? i understand why you're going to miss korea. the lifestyle here really is nice. and meeting different people and doing different things all the time. i don't know why its so hard to do that at home.
korea's going to miss you too!

 
At 10:01 p.m., Blogger Krista said...

GVRD - Greater Vancouver Regional District

So...you guys'll hit up Vancouver Island when you get back RIGHT????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home