Wednesday, October 18, 2006

...what??

on sunday i went to this bar in itaewon where they had live broadcasts of NHL games. It was pretty sweet.

Then, today in class, I was asking my kids what they'd done on the weekend, and it got around to me and what I'd done. The following conversation followed:

me: "well, I did something that's very important to Canadian culture. What's culture?"
students: "it's something that is important to a countries people, like Korean hanboks and kimchi."
me: "right. So, I DID something on Sunday. When you think about Canadian culture, what do you think about?"

one student: "indians"
another student: "deer"

me: "anything else??"

blank stares

me: "really? you think about Canadian culture and you only think about indians and deer?"

one student - looking unsure: "moose??"

another student: "teacher, are you an indian??"

me: "No (deep breath), do I LOOK Indian??"
student: "i don't know."
me: "well, I'm not Indian. So, what did i DO??!?!? on Sunday that's very important to Canada?"

student: "oh, oh, teacher...maple leaf??"
me - exasperated: "yes, Lucy...maple leaf is Canadian. but i didn't DO a maple leaf."

laughter - cuz i'm hilarious...but really i'm getting annoyed at this point

students: "teacher..hint."



I had to give in and tell them.

It was a sad, sad moment for Canadians.



a litte while later, same class, i got in an argument with a student over the acronym RCMP and it's true meaning. We were learning the word "mounted." Apparently he doesn't think that mounted should be in our police forces name.

Jae: "teacher, it really is Royal Canadian Mounted Police??"
me: "yes"
Jae: "really? you're sure?"
me: "yes Jae, I'm sure."
Jae: "have you ever seen one?"
me: "yes Jae, I've seen one. Jae, what did I study at university?"
Jae: "police"
me: "right, so, I'd know what the police are called, wouldn't I?"
Jae: "but, have you actually touched one??"
me: "oh dear God Jae, YES"


LOVE the class....REALLY i do.
Actually i do. If there's one thing these kids do is they keep me entertained and on my toes.

and provide for great anecdotes.

1 Comments:

At 2:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah nice Krista, nice. I think it is important to share/force our culture in their faces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home