Friday, July 15, 2005

Canada Day in Seoul

On Sunday June 26, 2005 the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in South Korea hosted a Canada Day picnic at the UN compound in Seoul. Why was it not held on July 1 you ask? Well, that's simple, July 1 fell on a Friday this year and I know all of you guys in Canada got the day off, but us here in Korea weren't so lucky. We still had to work, I know, cry a river eh? Anyways, Canada Day was thus held the weekend before actual Canada Day. The July 2-3 weekend was kept open for Independence Day...stupid Americans. I guess though when there are, I don't know HOW many American troops in this country, they take precedent, whatever.
So, Devon, Drew, Jessica and I all headed up to Seoul on the Saturday and there met up with Jenn. We found ourselves a love hotel in Itaewan (the foreigners district) and settled in for a nap. I love taking naps now, they're fabulous. Kids tire you out during the week!
We headed out for some light drinking and appy's. Devon's friend Jayme lives in Seoul and she met up with us. She took us around to an area outside of Itaewan. It was pretty cool. Still a ton of foreigners. It was weird to see foreigners and not know who they were. Gumi's just so small (yes, 350,000 is small) that I know every foreigner. I felt compelled to smile at everyone I saw, even though it was completely unnecessary and totally gave away the fact that I'm not a Seoulian, but whatever. So, we had a good time, hung out and light drinking turned into heavier drinking, but that's ok. We were still in decent shape for our picnic the next day.

On sunday we got up and headed off in search of the UN compound in Itaewan. I was expecting some fortress-like thing, but not really. It's a big lot with some army looking buildings on it surrounded by a cement wall with barbed wire. I felt safe, I'm sure if North Korea had attacked at that exact moment, we all would've been just dandy....ya, sure.

So, the day was pretty fun. There were about 1000 people there, so many waeygooks in one place I didn't know what to do with myself. Our ticket bought us 2 Molson Canadians and a steak and salmon lunch. It was super gross muggy hot that day and since we had been doing some drinking the night before I actually passed on Canadian beer. If it had been Kokanee, there wouldn't have been a chance, I would've taken it home with me, but it's all good. I instead drank Clearly Canadian. Do you remember that stuff? I havn't seen it for so long, it's that flavoured sparkling water? I used to drink it all the time back in the day, I never knew what happened to it, apparently it came to Korea. So, the drinks were good, the day was hot but alright. There were quite a few activities planned, a big water toss, a jump rope competition, a lot of door prizes, a 50/50 draw (because it was stated that it just wouldn't be Canadian without one), and a silent auction. The meal was good too. It was all prepared by Outback's SteakHouse. The highlight though had to be the Provincial tug-of-war. British Columbia was in the first war, against Ontario I believe, and we got our asses handed to us. It wasn't even a war, it was more like a mediocre debate. The wars ended with a battle between Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island. Yes, Cape Breton Island is part of Nova Scotia, but apparently Cape Bretoners like to come to Korea, because there was enough to make up their own team! In the end Cape Breton won. Saskachewan had a good chance because there's a million and one of 'em here, but in the end it was the East Coast determination that won over.
We left the picnic around 5pm and headed back into Itaewan. It was a good time, but it was really hot and we were pretty wiped from our previous evening. I also wanted to do a bit of shopping before heading back to Gumi, the land of stupid Korean sizes. I bought a pair of pants and Jenn bought some too as well as some shoes. We were happy campers. I can find shoes in Gumi (guys sizes) and shirts (in major department stores) but I can't for the life of me find any girls pants to fit me and guys pants just don't fit right. I love my new pants, they're a really light material which is great because enter the monsoon season in all it's muggy, gross, glory.
Well folks, I'm sorry I'm not all that interesting. I just havn't been up to that much lately. I'll have more to post within this next month though. Two friends of mine, Greg Samborski and Christa Willberg are coming to join me here in Gumi this month. Greg arrives on the 20th and Christa on the 28th. We all went to UCFV together, it should make for some fun times. Also, my mom will be here July 26th. Exactly 6 months after I arrived in South Korea. I can't wait. On one hand it doesn't seem like it's been 6 months, but on the other hand everything's changed so much that it seems like forever ago since I left. I can't wait to introduce these new people to the quirks of Korea, and also to calm their fears. Korea's a messed up place, but if you can laugh at it, then you're golden. Mom and I will also be heading to Japan from July 30-August 3. We'll be hitting up Osaka, Nara and Kyoto before heading back to Korea. I can't wait. Japan's going to be awesome, expensive, oh my god, expensive, but awesome. I'll keep you all updated! Take Care!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home